Keywords and Writing
1. Unlike other web content, a blog is more social, personal and informal. Use a casual tone while writing. You can earn money by blogging with the help of AdSense and affiliate marketing.
2. Don’t write blogs on just about anything. Choose your niche carefully; preferably something that really interests you.
3. Before writing, do some research and find the right keywords to use in the blog. This can be done by thinking of words people are most likely to use while looking for your blog and by using some keyword research tool.
4. Choose keywords that are less competitive and target the long tail keywords.
5. Create attractive blogs by customizing the look of the blog while feeling templates.
6. Make sure that the content of the blog is of great quality; it is the quality of the blog content that makes a successful blog.
7. Don’t just write content; do some research to find the right content for the blog.
8. Write your blog in such a way that it will become the main source of information you are writing about.
9. Don’t place all your blog posts on a single post; just a few.
10. Make sure you spell check your post and proofread it before submission.
11. Titles play an important part in the blog post so create catchy titles while using keywords over there.
12. If you have long posts, use sub headings – use keywords in subheadings.
13. Wherever possible, add some italic and bulleted text containing your keywords.
14. Stem your keywords. Use singular, plural, past forms, etc.
15. Make use of synonyms and don’t spam your blog with one and the same keyword.
16. Your URL also has to be keyword rich.
17. The more posts you have on the blog, the higher is the chance of getting found on search engines through targeted traffic.
18. When writing blogs, make it a point to add sources and references for matter.
19. Blogs become user friendly and easy to navigate by building an index on the blog.
20. Link to other similar blog posts on the internet.
21. Use and add tags carefully in the blog post.
22. Moderate all the comments you get.
23. Promote the writing of comments, and answer all comments you receive instantaneously.
24. It is better to have a long blog divided into divisions.
25. Include an ‘about us’ page on the blog for newcomers to learn more about you and what your blog boasts of.
26. Write for the readers not for the search engines i.e. Do not do keyword stuffing.
27. Interlink the blogs within the contents.
28. Make your top posts prominent.
29. Write blogs with a positive note, and not how negative something may be.
30. Give a first hand narration of what you know or have experienced.
31. Instead of repeating points, find and add new angles to a discussion.
32. Be the first person to write on the topic you have chosen.
33. Never duplicate content; you can be jailed for this.
34. Write about one subject per post.
35. It is better to write on evergreen topics which will remain fresh and in demand even after a few years’ time.
36. When writing for a blog, write on topics that people will want to read and share.
37. Make it a point to add keywords to the start, middle and end of each page.
38. Make sure you cover topics and FAQs thoroughly in your niche.
Designing and Maintaining
39. The blog design is important; so make it easily readable with the right background colors and placement of text.
40. Color for the blog should be chosen carefully.
41. Avoid using fancy and small fonts on the blog as they are difficult to read.
42. All white spaces or spacing between elements of the blog have to be removed.
43. Place some emphasis on the blog design not for SEO purposes but to attract the attention of visitors and have them returning for more.
44. This does not mean you need an elaborate blog design; something simple is sufficient.
45. Blogs have to be updated regularly, with a minimum of 5 blogs per week, if not 7. This content helps generate traffic and thus income for you.
46. Your blog should be easy to subscribe perhaps through RSS, mobile subscription and emails. People should also be able to digg your posts.
47. Your blog should make it easy for people to contact you when required.
48. Blogs should run with a good link building campaign.
49. Work to get as many links to other blogs from your blog. People tend to find out who links to them and in exchange, will also link back to your blog.
50. With all this linking, it is important that you check your statistics and analytics on a regular basis and make the required changes in your blog.
51. All the categories of your blog should be well organized.
52. Don’t place too many ads on the blog.
53. Use the help of research, surveys and polls to make your blog more interesting. It also improves the quality of your blog.
54. All important contents of the blog should be placed ‘above the fold’.
55. Make it a point to add images to the blog, and to optimize them.
56. Ad visuals in the form of blockquotes, videos, charts, graphs and photos are important for a blog.
57. Work at integrating these ad visuals into the blog and not at bombarding visitors with the ads.
58. Speed in downloading is important in blogs, so maintain a low page size.
59. Choose and create a decent logo for your blog, and display it with your posts.
60. This logo should link to the home page.
61. The functionality of the blog is enhanced with plugins. In the process, it also saves time.
62. When archiving a blog, you have to archive it according to topic and not go by date.
63. Make sure you optimize and distribute a press release announcing the start of your blog.
64. Use the help of blog directories to promote your blog.
65. Forums and other similar blogs can be used to promote your blog by participating, and by commenting in them.
66. Online communities are effective in promoting a blog.
67. Participating in social networking sites like Facebook, orkut and MySpace are effective in promoting your blog.
68. Simultaneously, your blog URL has to be included in social media profiles.
69. Work at researching and commenting on various industries related to your blog.
70. Article marketing is a great tool for promotion of the blog.
71. Use pingomatic.com to send out notices and pings.
72. Online blog communities are great for blog promotion. You could also create your own community to promote the blog.
73. Dig and stumble upon are feasible options for promoting the blog.
74. Let others know about the updates on your blog by using Twitter and Jaiku micro-blogging.
75. Make your own videos and post them on YouTube, podcast and Vlog directories.
76. Every time you post a new blog, remember to post and thus make a network
77. You can attract new visitors to your site by participating and getting involved in a community.
78. Inform others about your blog; and don’t feel shy to say you have a blog.
79. Include you blog URL in all your email signatures.
80. Never attempt Black Hat SEO techniques as these are unethical SEO techniques.
81. Like all businesses, you have to work at first building your visitor base to your blog, and then at earning money online.
82. Keywords have to be used in linking texts.
83. This keyword linking text can also be used to get and exchange links from relevant sites with high PR.
84. Your signature should have a link to your blog so that the posts you make to forums, outgoing mails, etc work at promoting your blog.
85. Look at other blogs for ideas- rel=nofollow http://www.bloglines.com and rel=nofollow http://www.technorati.com are great sites to visit to get ideas from other blogs.
86. Meet and interview famous and interesting bloggers.
87. Though SEO may be time consuming, it gives long lasting effects and is better than the quick social bookmarking where results are not long lasting.
88. Blogs have to be submitted to major search engines.
89. Blogs have to be submitted to blogging directories using keywords for links.
90. Work at becoming an expert in your trade and also a specialist in your topic.
91. Make an account in stumble upon where you have to stumble good stuff and make new accomplices.
92. Work at growing, and sustaining your audience.
93. Be careful of ongoing discussions on your blog.
94. Make it a point to keep track of visitors, with the help of some analytic software.
95. Don’t concentrate on short term benefits of your blog- work at increasing your readership base.
96. Be as helpful as possible, whenever possible.
97. Keep some time solely for your blog.
98. Be patient as blogging is more like running a marathon, and not a 100m sprint.
99. Learn and make improvements from previous mistakes.
100. Though the going may be tough, perseverance succeeds.
For further information, please visit [http://seo-consultant-specialist.com/wblog//]SEO Consultant Specialist’s Blog
Abdul Hayi Mansoor SEO Specialist and Article Marketer